Welcome to Silver and Shadow

"Look at that sea, girls--all silver and shadow and vision of things not seen. We couldn't enjoy its loveliness any more if we had millions of dollars and ropes of diamonds." -L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

This is a blog I will be using for topics other than food. Politics, religion, spirituality, humor, green living, anything that I want to talk about that doesn't fall under the food/cooking category.



Tuesday, March 23, 2021

03/23/2021

It was a sloooooow day today. Thankfully I was working from home. I focused on the freezers today, getting all of my stuff out of my sister's freezer, and into mine. I had to look up how the temperature dial worked to get it to the right temperature. Once it was cold enough, I moved everything over. I also rearranged my sister's freezer and created a space for our shared items. I still need to work on the little freezer, but things are finally getting to where I want for the freezers. I also ran the babka for my parents out to my mom when she dropped by in the early afternoon to get it. It was a nice day so it was good to sit out on the stairs for a couple minutes. I also listened to some stuff on youtube while I worked today.

After logging out, I walked down to the library and picked up a movie I had on hold. When I got back, I make the best pork chop dinner of my entire life. I make it like how my mom did growing up, but my electric skillet is rusty for some reason and I need to buy a new one so I had to use a combination of my Dutch oven and a sheet pan. I browned the pork chops in the Dutch oven, then put them in a roasting bag on a sheet pan to finish cooking in the oven. I then did the potatoes and carrots in the Dutch oven on the stove. I had to remove most of the onions I had fried because they burned. I lost most of the flavoring from browning the meat, but it was worth it not to have the whole thing taste burned. I added water and chicken bouillon, and all the seasonings that I use on the pork chops: salt, pepper, and garlic powder, to the potatoes. Once the potatoes were cooked, I added the pork chops back to it, as well as all the liquid from the roasting bag. When it was all cooked, I took it all out and added a can of cream of mushroom soup to the Dutch oven, and made the gravy. Fresh green beans, crescent rolls, and pickles rounded out the meal. I was worried about the texture of the pork chops in the oven, and it turns out that they were the most tender I've ever had! Bone-in is totally the way to go.

I took the time to clean up the kitchen and did a load of by-hand dishes since they are building up out of control. Tomorrow will be leftovers. 

Our usual shows tonight. Hopefully a good night's sleep tonight too!

No comments:

Post a Comment