Welcome to Silver and Shadow

"Look at that sea, girls--all silver and shadow and vision of things not seen. We couldn't enjoy its loveliness any more if we had millions of dollars and ropes of diamonds." -L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

This is a blog I will be using for topics other than food. Politics, religion, spirituality, humor, green living, anything that I want to talk about that doesn't fall under the food/cooking category.



Monday, April 27, 2020

STFAH: Day 36

Today was a pleasant day, all around. I lounged in bed and got up late, then watched some Youtube videos. I switched over to my Alphabet Movies and had the last of my thawed out Papa Murphy's pizza for lunch. My foot was pain-free for the most part so I did my rehab walk outside in the nice weather. Took a nice warm shower, read for a while as dinner cooked. Ate a lovely bbq pork spare rib and rice dinner, and have settled in for an evening of Psych reruns. Also, I managed to reach my 8 glasses/day water challenge. Definitely nice to keep up with.

I tried hanging up my big heavy painting in my bedroom but it fell down. Luckily nothing was damaged but I need to try it again. I used 4 of the velcro strips that says it should hold up to 16lbs. that way but this painting is about 8 lbs. I think the problem was that I saw it was tilted and tried to redo the strips so it was straight, without doing anything to the strips, so they were not fully locked together. I should have just tossed the strips and tried all new ones. I'll try that tomorrow and see what happens.

I did a nice 13 minute walk this afternoon outside. I found a benefit from walking outside with the mask on the whole time instead of just when people are around: pollen. This time of year I usually have so many sinus headaches because of the pollen in the air. I might do this from now on each spring. It's time to normalize mask-wearing. I know it's done in other parts of the world as a matter of course, but it's time to do it here too! It was glorious and there were also stormy-looking clouds that were so pretty too! I loved it. And I walked limp-free for the first time since hurting my foot.

I'm getting really close to finishing the book I've been reading for the last few weeks. I'll write up a bit of a review when I finally finish it. I have the last book I started at work for my breaks and waiting for the bus and I'll finish that one after before moving on to one of my many "to be read" books.

I wrote a little too. I finished out a page and moved on to the next. I'm getting to the part of the chapter where I need to "live write" it, so when I get there, I'll type out all I've written by hand so far, and go from there. I'll finish the chapter out and then can go back to editing my already-written chapters.

Today's Alphabet Movie letter was P, and I had seen this movie show up many times as I flipped through looking for movies. I'd heard many good things but had never seen it. 1993's Philadelphia.
Based on what I'd seen over the years, pictures, etc, I assumed Tom Hanks and Denzel Washington were lovers. I was very wrong. I was also very outraged watching this. I was too young when the HIV/AIDS hysteria of the 80's hit to really remember the abject terror of it. I was the first generation of children educated about it, based on science and not fear, so we learned not to be scared of people with HIV/AIDS, so it's upsetting to see the fear and the unfair treatment of the LGBT community during this time. The story ended up not really even being about the lawsuit, but about giving the audience a chance to see a person with AIDS not as a statistic or a stereotype, but as a human who was about to lose his life well before his time. We also see one man's journey from being a prejudiced homophobe, to being a pretty woke person. The outcome of the case is completely obscured, which hammers home the idea that this isn't what this movie is about. If you're not outraged and moved while watching this movie, I don't know what to tell you. I'm glad I finally got a chance to watch it. Highly recommend this one.

2 comments:

  1. So glad your foot is feeling better and no limp today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's even better today. Slow and gentle, it's hard for me to do that, but I'm seeing that it really does work!

      Delete