Welcome to Silver and Shadow

"Look at that sea, girls--all silver and shadow and vision of things not seen. We couldn't enjoy its loveliness any more if we had millions of dollars and ropes of diamonds." -L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

This is a blog I will be using for topics other than food. Politics, religion, spirituality, humor, green living, anything that I want to talk about that doesn't fall under the food/cooking category.



Monday, April 13, 2020

STFAH: Day 22

Today I actually managed to get a lot of writing for my book done! My sister is home today and tomorrow to use up some vacation time, but I did pretty much the same things I do when she goes to work. I took out a load of recycling and garbage. I rinse and stacked the dishes and put away the clean dishes. I fed the sourdough starter and let it sit in the sun. It's still going pretty strong and I think I might be able to test it out finally in the next couple days. Read in bed for a while and elevated my foot. Then we had leftovers from Easter lunch for dinner too, except we had baked potatoes instead of au gratin. We bought a 5lb. bag of potatoes before we hunkered down and they were starting to to sprout so we baked the rest of them up to turn into fried potatoes for breakfast tomorrow. Tonight we have our tv shows which are actually new episodes! No dinner plans yet for tomorrow. We'll see what I come up with for a menu this week!

So, I did end up doing an Alphabet Movie today. My sister was ok with sitting through a totally random movie. Today's letter was F, and I chose a movie called The Florida Project, from 2017.
This was really well done and eye-opening into an often overlooked segment of society. This is an indie film about a "cheap" motel in Florida, on the outskirts of Disney World and the people who live there. Low income people, mostly women, and their children, living in the motel and trying their best to make their way in the world. And the fact that this abject poverty takes place in the shadow of a Disney park makes it all the more tragic. I highly recommend this one. It's not a fun movie, but it's a good movie. If you're a Willem Dafoe fan, you'll like him in this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment