Welcome to Silver and Shadow

"Look at that sea, girls--all silver and shadow and vision of things not seen. We couldn't enjoy its loveliness any more if we had millions of dollars and ropes of diamonds." -L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

This is a blog I will be using for topics other than food. Politics, religion, spirituality, humor, green living, anything that I want to talk about that doesn't fall under the food/cooking category.



Tuesday, April 14, 2020

STFAH: Day 23

No writing today. We went out to get Burger King for breakfast and came home to eat it. It was delish! We watched some Psych episodes before switching over to my movie of the day, but more about that later. Then I elevated my foot in bed and read for an hour or so before getting our breakfast-for-dinner ready. It was breakfast all day!! Rinsed and stacked the dishes and started a load in the dishwasher. Now we've got more Psych going on for the evening.

Today something cracked in my foot as I was walking and the pain I've been feeling immediately felt better, randomly. But now it's back to about the usual level of pain it's been. It's still slowly getting better, but I don't know what that crack was, unless it was like my knees when my tendons and ligaments started cracking and snapping as it all healed. Maybe it's just the next step in the healing process.

I cleaned off some stuff on my desk, and did a few financial-related things, including updating my phone number online through somebody who is still able to work, maybe from home, or maybe from what is hopefully a socially-distanced-appropriate space at financial institution's headquarters. Either way, I hope he's safe, and I'm also glad he's still able to work. I also found out that the stimulus checks that are going to be coming out showed up in my account, pending for tomorrow. I don't plan to spend it, but I will keep it on hand for bills or rent should this go on too long. It won't last long, of course, but it might keep me going an extra month or so.

Today's letter in my Alphabet Movies series, was G. And I selected Goodfellas. It's a classic, from 1990, and yet I have never actually seen it before.
I often have problems with Mafia movies and tv shows because I think they portray Italian Americans as nothing more than criminals. It really is all we ever see them as in movies, and I think that's a shame. I think there's also a racism element in which we glorify the Mafia, but condemn gangs when really it's only the skin color of the people that makes any difference between them. Both groups of people had their starts in nearly the same way: Setting up a system of protection for themselves against a larger system that excluded them. The larger system was often corrupt, and not necessarily a paragon of virtue itself, so who was the "bigger baddie" when you really think about it? But, try as I might to maintain my social justice outrage, Martin Scorsese wove a tale I was unable to not be drawn into. The acting was phenomenal. The violence that was shown was surprisingly not as bad as I was anticipating. For such a notorious movie with the given subject matter, it could have been way worse. The narration was a surprising element. It was like The Wonder Years, but with the Mafia. And I had no idea until now that it had been based on a true story! This was a really great movie! We'll see what tomorrow brings.

No comments:

Post a Comment