Welcome to Silver and Shadow

"Look at that sea, girls--all silver and shadow and vision of things not seen. We couldn't enjoy its loveliness any more if we had millions of dollars and ropes of diamonds." -L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

This is a blog I will be using for topics other than food. Politics, religion, spirituality, humor, green living, anything that I want to talk about that doesn't fall under the food/cooking category.



Sunday, April 12, 2020

STFAH: Day 21

Today is Easter! Normally I would have gone to my aunt's house and my parents and sister would be there, and if possible, my grandmother as well. Obviously that did not happen. So, my sister and I had our own Easter dinner and watched movies all day.

I was going to make homemade au gratin potatoes but I couldn't muster the energy and we ended up with boxed and it was just fine. We did ham and biscuits and I had asparagus and carrots sticks with Uncle Dan's dressing, and some olives. Sadly, my apple grape pie did not turn out well. The apples were completely raw and the apple pie spice I used smelled like curry which I hoped would just go away, yet it did not, so it was a raw apple curry pie and it's now in the compost.

We started the day with Jesus Christ, Superstar, always a great movie. Then, we continued with the other Norman Jewison musical we have on hand: Fiddler on the Roof. Since it's also Passover, I thought it was a good duo. Now, we're watching my favorite Easter movie: Dogma. We were going to try to watch the Easter episode of MASH and My Big Fat Greek Wedding too, but we are going to put it off till next Sunday, since both of them actually deal with Orthodox Easter, which is a week after ours. I might make something tasty with my Greek seasoning for it!

We also placed some orders for stuff. I found a couple things for new hobbies I want to try at Powell's and order them for delivery. One of the items I wanted to get I had no choice but to get from Amazon. And we ordered some stamps to support the USPS and I had the idea that we should all start writing and mailing letters in our isolation. It would give me a good chance to practice my handwriting!

Now, I'm waiting for my frozen potpie to cook and I still need to feed my sourdough starter. It looked like it was not working anymore after I started refrigerating it. I took it back out and last night instead of a flour/water slurry I actually just dumped straight flour in it and mixed it. I refrigerated it last night and then left it out all day. I put it in the sun again this afternoon and I definitely see bubbles and frothing again, so it's not dead. Tomorrow I might pour off half of it again and start the process again and maybe on Thursday I'll be able to try actually making something with it. Depending on how it turns out, I'll do a big food blog post for it all. Keeping my fingers crossed!

No comments:

Post a Comment