Welcome to Silver and Shadow

"Look at that sea, girls--all silver and shadow and vision of things not seen. We couldn't enjoy its loveliness any more if we had millions of dollars and ropes of diamonds." -L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

This is a blog I will be using for topics other than food. Politics, religion, spirituality, humor, green living, anything that I want to talk about that doesn't fall under the food/cooking category.



Thursday, August 6, 2020

Today I Went to Work: 8/6/2020

Today I had planned to work in the office, probably all day, but the world had other things in store...The first sense that something was off was getting off my elevator and walking towards the office, and seeing that the office next door had a large fan set up and everything on the wall it shares with us, pulled away. Having no context, I assumed they'd had their carpets cleaned and were drying it out. But then I turned towards our office, and saw and heard giant fans there too. The door was locked, but the alarm was turned off. It smelled bad and everything in the kitchen had been moved to different parts of the office. There were stains on the carpet that took over half the office area. I went into the kitchen to drop off my yogurt in the fridge and there was a panel in the ceiling missing and that yellow fluff stuff poking through. No notes, nobody around saying what had happened. The first thing I did was call my boss, who was busy and unable to take my call and told me to call the other coworker who isn't on vacation to see if she'd heard anything.

I finally got through to my boss and broke the news to him about what was clearly extensive water damage, and found out that we had a meeting scheduled for 11am there. We scrambled and moved the meeting to the conference room next door. At one point, a maintenance man came in and told me what had happened. Last night, around 8pm, security noticed water dripping into the lobby and they discovered that our hot water heater, which is for some odd reason, in the ceiling, had burst. At least it was clean water and not sewage, but it still smelled really bad and was really humid in the office.

I changed my plans from staying all day, to getting what I couldn't do remotely and then leave and finish the rest at home. I'm working from home tomorrow too. It's going to make next week more difficult as I have to catch up with all those extra things, but the important thing is that I'm getting things out electronically to our clients and the paper stuff can wait. It's not the priority.

I left around noon and it took almost a half hour for my bus to come by even though it said it was 10 minutes out. Good times! I finally got home and showered and set up my laptop and spent the rest of the day working here. It was pretty busy.

Because my knee got messed up again, as it seems to do over the last couple years, I did not walk on the treadmill today. It's a little lower down in my knee than before, so it's a little more usable, but I need to massage it and take it easy for a while. It'll be nice to work from home again tomorrow and have less walking to do.

Dinner was, in fact, sloppy joes. It was cold and rainy today so I used the oven to make some fries and toast my hamburger bun. It was quite delicious. I had some extra tomatoes to use up, so I chopped some up and threw them in the pan with the ground chicken. It'll be even tastier as leftovers tomorrow. I was invited to do dinner with my bff tomorrow, but with my knee, I can't make it there and back without too much pain. My sister and I have a couple things to do this weekend that I need to conserve my walking.

It's cozy in here tonight. I'm wrapped up in my blanket and we're watching Hey Dude. Good times!

No comments:

Post a Comment