Welcome to Silver and Shadow

"Look at that sea, girls--all silver and shadow and vision of things not seen. We couldn't enjoy its loveliness any more if we had millions of dollars and ropes of diamonds." -L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

This is a blog I will be using for topics other than food. Politics, religion, spirituality, humor, green living, anything that I want to talk about that doesn't fall under the food/cooking category.



Wednesday, May 27, 2020

STFAH: Day 66

Today I am trying out the new dashboard for this blog and trying out the new format. I have a bit of a learning curve, so we'll see how it goes. It's mostly the same but a different look, but how you upload the photos works differently than it used to, so I have to adjust to that, or maybe I'm not doing something right. I'll get the hang of it eventually.

Lunch was an adventure today. We drove out to Dairy Queen and picked up food and I got a giant ice cream cone which would have melted so I had no choice but to eat it first on the way home...It was delish! We came home to eat and watched an episode of Twin Peaks.

I did my walk earlier in the afternoon before watching my movie. It was another glorious day. Warmer than yesterday, for sure. Almost entirely clear sky. The air smelled like pine and flowers and it was really quiet. I had times with my mask off and it felt normal again and it was great. Today's walk picture is quite lovely, I think.



After the walk, I came home and found a movie with 9 in the title. I ended up with one called District 9, which turned out to be produced by Peter Jackson and Philippa Boyens! It was pretty interesting. Set in South Africa, but a lot of the accents sounded Australian at first, which would make sense if it was in fact, filmed in New Zealand, or a combination of the three places. It's about aliens who come to this planet and are rounded up and kept in one location and given no resources to survive, and how the humans treat them like garbage. There was some randomly anti-Nigerian sentiment in the film, which I found unnecessary, but overall it was a pretty good film. Sci-fi, if that's your thing.

Then I finished reading the book I'd been currently reading. With the Fire on High, by Elizabeth Acevedo. It was a Christmas present from my parents and I really enjoyed this one. It's the story of a Afro-Boricua senior high schooler named Emoni Santiago, and her life as she balances being a young mother, graduating high school, her love of food, and deciding her future. Any foodie would enjoy this book. If you're looking to support writers of color, this is a great book for you. Order it from your Black-owned bookstore of choice and get reading!

Dinner tonight was pizza pasta, to use up leftovers from the fridge. Mushrooms, pizza sauce, pepperoni, and quartered cherry tomatoes became a quick sauce over mini pasta shells, and topped with shredded mozzarella. Easy, fast, and delicious! And we had a Pillsbury French bread loaf to try, so we whipped that up too, and it turns out that is really tasty too. A bowl of fruit is serving as dessert.

Last night, after posting my blog post, I ended up getting into an argument on FB with somebody I'd known since my Watermark days. We disagreed on racism, dismantling white supremacy, and the best way to go about it. It got out of control and we ended up unfriending each other. I also lost another FB friend also from my Watermark days, in the same evening. I have to stand up for what's right, and if that means losing friends in the process, I guess they weren't really my friends in the first place.

I talked to my coworker today and the general gameplan for me to return to work is that I'll be notified the day before if I'll be needed the next day. Since the people working remotely have the information, I'm dependent on them to fill me in. Since the buses are unreliable right now, I need plenty of warning to work on getting there in a timely manner. Getting called the morning of wouldn't really work. So, sometime on Sunday I'll find out if they need me to come in on Monday. I plan to get some tv dinners to keep there so on the occasion that I'm there long enough to need a lunch, I won't be trying to transport food on the bus that could be more exposed to any possible germs. I suspect June will be very hit and miss for how often I go in, but it'll be more in July when I cover for the person going on vacation. It still probably won't be daily, though.

The final season of Marvel's Agents of SHIELD premieres tonight at 10pm and I'll definitely be tuning in. It's always fun to have new episodes of a show to enjoy. Charmed reruns till then.

No comments:

Post a Comment