Welcome to Silver and Shadow

"Look at that sea, girls--all silver and shadow and vision of things not seen. We couldn't enjoy its loveliness any more if we had millions of dollars and ropes of diamonds." -L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

This is a blog I will be using for topics other than food. Politics, religion, spirituality, humor, green living, anything that I want to talk about that doesn't fall under the food/cooking category.



Tuesday, May 19, 2020

STFAH: Day 58

Today started off rather productively, I must say. I got up with my alarm and got ready for the day AND cleaned my bathroom and wiped down every handle in the apartment in time to watch The Golden Girls on Hallmark. After that I watched stuff on Youtube, then switched over to try out the Knives Out dvd specials. I didn't have time to watch the commentaries, so I'll try one of them out tomorrow.

While watching stuff, I worked on a recipe idea I might try later this week. I love spanikopita and have phyllo dough in the freezer I want to use up, but I don't have any spinach. I do, however, have collard greens. So, my idea was to make a Southern version of spanikopita with that instead. I have green bell pepper I can add to it, and cheddar cheese instead of feta. And of course, a dash of Tabasco. We'll see if I manage it. Phyllo also works really well as a dessert and I do have walnuts I could use for baklava, another favorite...

Before my walk, I listened to a podcast by Johnathan Perkins and his sister called  Abroad While Black  that I really enjoyed. I follow him on Twitter, he's a wonderful source of information and inspiration for people working towards dismantling white supremacy in their own lives and in the country as a whole. If you're looking for a podcast that deals with this subject matter, I highly recommend this one. I don't know how to follow/subscribe to podcasts cuz I generally don't listen to them, but if I could, I totally would subscribe to this one. I just bookmarked it, which isn't the same but it's better than nothing.

Yesterday, my mask that I ordered from Etsy arrived. It is so cute! I wore it today for the first time on my mask. I have to adjust to how the air flow works cuz it causes my glasses to fog up more than the hospital mask does. But it's so cute and I feel like a ray of positivity wearing it out.
Sunflowers are my favorite. Here's the Etsy shop, in case you'd like to order one for yourself. With shipping and handling, it was still under $10. I'm trying to support businesses of color more, so I searched out on Etsy and found that this one is run by an African American woman. I loved the sunflower pattern and the price can't be beat. Check her out, there are quite a few designs to choose from!

My walk today was chilly so I wore my coat, which I haven't had to do lately, but I was glad I did because it was breezy out so it got quite cool. My picture of the day was a shot I swear wasn't there the other day. They must have just bloomed or something. They stand out a lot because it's not too bright out, and I love all the other flowers in the shot too.
I don't know what kind of flowers there are, but they're very pretty! They were too far into the yard to see if they smell nice.

Today's movie was called Flock of Four. I don't know if it was made for tv or not, but it randomly had a lot of former Disney kids in it.
This one was ok. It tried hard, but ultimately missed the mark of the story. I haven't seen LaLa Land but based on what I do know of that movie, I'd call this a poor man's version of that. A group of white kids in 1959 go off on a quest to track down a jazz legend in the segregated side of town, where they meet a couple of black teenagers who help open their minds to how privileged they are. The main kid obsessed with jazz finally manages to track down the jazz legend who simultaneously dressed down the kid and assures him that he's one of the "good ones," thus making the kid feel better. For a music based on the pain of slavery, I felt that the story was telling white people they have just as much right to be a part of that genre for my taste. Especially when they refuse to see that they are part of the reason for the pain behind the music, it feels wrong for them to then profit from it. I dunno, it's a touchy subject and the movie felt a little too made for and by white people for my taste. There were better ways to showcase this time period and the history of jazz in Los Angeles.

It was Taco Tuesday for dinner tonight and I made homemade guacamole to go with my tacos and it was delish! I also made some roast potatoes to use them up, but put too much cayenne in them and it was a bit too much. I'll make the rest tomorrow but leave out the cayenne!


No comments:

Post a Comment