Welcome to Silver and Shadow

"Look at that sea, girls--all silver and shadow and vision of things not seen. We couldn't enjoy its loveliness any more if we had millions of dollars and ropes of diamonds." -L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

This is a blog I will be using for topics other than food. Politics, religion, spirituality, humor, green living, anything that I want to talk about that doesn't fall under the food/cooking category.



Friday, June 19, 2020

STFAH: Juneteenth, 2020

Today I worked from home! I processed 4 transcripts and wrote extensive notes so when I go into the office on Monday I'll be able to finish them out and make sure I get all the "to do" items, done. It wasn't terribly busy, though, and I was able to do a load of dishes, sweep, and vacuum. That was really nice. I was up early enough to start my day with a free workout video on Xfinity. I found a 15 minute walking video I think I'm going to make a staple at least till I'm ready to expand it. I found it very effective but didn't leave me too wiped out, either.

One of the things I've been doing throughout this week, kind of randomly, is cleaning out our fridge. We've been keeping it so out of control stocked through the pandemic out of fear of shortages, but those have never really come to pass, so now we can start buying less amounts of food when we shop now. But the fridge looks really good! I like a sparse, open fridge. I love it!

I had another visual aura migraine today but I used a break time period to lie down and rest my eyes with my eye mask on to darken the room even more and it was gone after 15 minutes. That's another thing I can't do at the office!

Today is Juneteenth, and it's a holiday I've thought about every year since finding out my DNA results and embracing my Black ancestry. I've never partaken or celebrated, I'm white after all, it's not my holiday, but every year I do find myself locked into a feeling of contemplation and need to educate myself on the day. Here's what I have come to think about it this year: Today, as a white person with some Black ancestry that I openly acknowledge, I think of my Black ancestors who never knew freedom. My ancestors were passing for white by the time of the Civil War, and as a white person, Juneteenth isn't my holiday. But today, inevitably, makes my heart and soul think of those further back ancestors. It makes my motive for fighting to dismantle white supremacy that much stronger. They are always in my heart and mind.

Tonight we dropped off stuff at our parents' house for extended family birthdays that they'll deliver for us, and to give dad our Father's Day present. We always get him coffee for all his gifts, and I had wanted to order some from a Black-owned business, but honestly, I thought I had an extra week and I ran out of time...Maybe for Christmas!

Grocery Outlet and teriyaki lunch tomorrow, if all works out as planned. Taco Time and Charmed tonight. Fun times.

No comments:

Post a Comment