Welcome to Silver and Shadow

"Look at that sea, girls--all silver and shadow and vision of things not seen. We couldn't enjoy its loveliness any more if we had millions of dollars and ropes of diamonds." -L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

This is a blog I will be using for topics other than food. Politics, religion, spirituality, humor, green living, anything that I want to talk about that doesn't fall under the food/cooking category.



Friday, June 26, 2020

STFAH: June 26, 2020

Today I worked from home and it was a mixed bag. When it was slow, it was sllllloooooowwww, and I got some chores done like dusting and vacuuming, taking out garbage and recycling, and getting the dishes caught up. But when it was busy, it was suuuper busy and I could hardly think straight! The day went pretty fast, which is all you can really hope for these days. I do like having the chores done before the weekend. I'm going to have to keep that up on non-office Fridays.

One of the things I did on my lunch break is something I have been putting off for a very long time, but finally feel ready to try again. I read Roots when I was 15, and I think again some years ago too. But I haven't read it since getting my DNA test results and confirming that, even on a small level, I have a family line that possibly has an origin story like the one depicted in the book. I've only ever been an outsider looking in when watching the miniseries or reading the book, never somebody contemplating their own history. It's different now, and it's taken some mental gearing up to do this. But I have to acknowledge this part of my family history, even though it's extremely painful. Because I'm white, I have the choice to ignore that part of my DNA, or not. I feel that it would be the ultimate act of white supremacy to ignore that part of me, so that means embracing it fully, including the painful parts. Black people live every day with the pain of the history of slavery inside them, they don't get to choose to ignore it or not, and so I cannot either. I will embrace whatever pain I feel from re-reading the book, and finding the miniseries some day to watch again as well. No more hiding.

We decided to juggle our schedule a bit and do our grocery shopping and Taco del Mar tonight instead of tomorrow. Tomorrow is doughnut day. Another trip to Top Pot. Sometimes you just gotta have doughnuts...! We just finished our episode of Stranger Things and will be doing our annual viewing of A Goofy Movie next! We usually try to watch that around the end of the school year, but that didn't really happen this year, so it's today. We just decided!

No comments:

Post a Comment