Welcome to Silver and Shadow

"Look at that sea, girls--all silver and shadow and vision of things not seen. We couldn't enjoy its loveliness any more if we had millions of dollars and ropes of diamonds." -L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

This is a blog I will be using for topics other than food. Politics, religion, spirituality, humor, green living, anything that I want to talk about that doesn't fall under the food/cooking category.



Friday, June 12, 2020

STFAH: June 12, 2020

Today started later than I'd intended but I had some sleeping issues last night from my neck/shoulder pain. I switched to my roll pillow and I immediately noticed a difference, so I spent a little time looking for a better roll pillow to order that will be sturdier than the decorative one I currently have. But it's hopeful that just that did make a bit of a difference.

Today was the general strike in our state and I had planned on maybe making a sign and just walking around my neighborhood since I didn't plan on joining in the main protest downtown, but my late start wasn't conducive to that. And I called my mom to touch base after all the stuff that happened this week with the family and ended up on the phone with her for about an hour and a half which is huge for me, not being a phone person. We talked a lot about racism and white privilege in this country and how far we all have to go. She's further along in all this than I realized, which is great. I'm going to loan my parents my copy of White Fragility because I think they'd both get a lot out of it.

By the time I was done on the phone it was after noon and I was pretty drained, so we just watched stuff on Netflix to educate ourselves. We watched a documentary called Teach Us All and it was really eye-opening about how our education system works and favors white people, though that's not at all shocking. We also watched 13th, a rewatch for me, a first for my sister. It's well worth multiple viewings, though. There is so much that needs fixing in this nation...And we watched a Trevor Noah comedy special that dealt with racism, but with humor. It was hilarious! Then we switched to Disney+ and rewatched The Color of Friendship, which I highly recommend for anybody who hasn't seen it before or hasn't seen it in forever. It's pretty progressive for Disney when they made it. It's progressive still, actually.

Now it's time for dinner and some winding-down tv before heading to bed. Not a big day for accomplishments, though I did fill and run the dishwasher, and talked to my boss for a bit on the phone for how work is going and some ideas for going forward. It's all going to work out great, I think.

No big plans for the weekend. Gonna drop some stuff off at my cousin's tomorrow and do our grocery shopping and I might do some baking/cooking, but no big adventures.

No comments:

Post a Comment