Welcome to Silver and Shadow

"Look at that sea, girls--all silver and shadow and vision of things not seen. We couldn't enjoy its loveliness any more if we had millions of dollars and ropes of diamonds." -L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

This is a blog I will be using for topics other than food. Politics, religion, spirituality, humor, green living, anything that I want to talk about that doesn't fall under the food/cooking category.



Wednesday, July 1, 2020

STFAH: July 1, 2020

Gosh, what a day! I worked from home and it was a pretty busy day. In between I did a chapter of my antiracism book where I was inspired to make a Facebook post that ended up exploding out of control and ultimately ended with me unfriending somebody I've been on FB with for over a decade and knew in high school. It was upsetting, but it was getting abusive, so I had to just cut her off and stop the issue. Those of us who are dedicated to antiracism work will experience this over and over. You will lose friends and family over this. Some people can go some of the way, but can't go the rest of the way. Some people think they're woke, but it turns out they're just sleepwalking. When it's pointed out, they can't handle it or themselves.

On another front, I reached out to our building's manager with a question about a light outside our apartment that's messing with my sister's ability to sleep and also to ask how moving into another unit works. How do waiting lists work, etc, and availability of bigger units. The manager came back and said there happened to be a 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom, plus den available a floor up from us and it was unlocked so we could go look at it if we wanted to. So, of course we did. It's perfect for us. It would resolve all of the issues we have with our current apartment. When we told her we were impressed, she said that they like us and want to keep us on and even though they usually have to have a person follow out on their first year of the lease, they were willing to roll it over to a new lease and we could have the place in two weeks! We'd get a week to move and clean this place up. We've only been in this place since the middle of March so we don't have much cleaning to do. A lot of the stuff to move we can just do on our own, but our parents will lend a hand with the bigger stuff. It's going to be bonkers for the next few weeks, but it should be worth it in the end to have a more livable apartment that we could actually live in for several years. It'll be better for both of our mental health.

I go to the doctor tomorrow for my annual check up to get my prescriptions renewed. Boy will I have some stuff to tell her about how my stress levels have been over the last year...! Nothing more fun than going to a doctor's office in a pandemic too, so that'll be super fun. And then I go to work afterwards for the afternoon. Long, probably not too fun day tomorrow, but day off Friday. It'll be worth it in the end, I think.

Spaghetti for dinner tonight. Always delish. Stranger Things, The Great British Baking Show, and Highway to Heaven to follow tonight. Hopefully I'll sleep well tonight. I feel anxious and excited and stuck in a holding pattern for the next couple weeks...!

No comments:

Post a Comment