Welcome to Silver and Shadow

"Look at that sea, girls--all silver and shadow and vision of things not seen. We couldn't enjoy its loveliness any more if we had millions of dollars and ropes of diamonds." -L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

This is a blog I will be using for topics other than food. Politics, religion, spirituality, humor, green living, anything that I want to talk about that doesn't fall under the food/cooking category.



Monday, February 28, 2011

Answering the Call of Duty

Jury duty that is. I got a summons in the mail on Saturday to go to jury duty at the end of March and immediately started grumbling and trying to figure out how to get out of it. I've always had a fear of doing jury duty and getting stuck on the murder trial that will take months to do and years of therapy to get over, but according to their website, that's not what Municipal court handles, so I was less fearful of it.

Then this morning I was looking at the news headlines of what's going on in Libya and the Middle East right now. People are continuing to be slaughtered in their quest for the freedoms we take for granted. And I realized that something as simple yet possibly annoying as jury duty is in fact a freedom. It's what we do so that we can have a fair justice system, it's being a part of the system. It's what I do so that hopefully one day, should the need ever arise for me to have a jury, there will be a group of my peers who actually pay attention and do their job properly to grant me justice.

So I decided that I will attend my jury duty without a grudge or a feeling of being put-upon. I will embrace the experience in honor of those who are fighting and dying for the chance to do what I am being given the opportunity to do.

1 comment: