Welcome to Silver and Shadow

"Look at that sea, girls--all silver and shadow and vision of things not seen. We couldn't enjoy its loveliness any more if we had millions of dollars and ropes of diamonds." -L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

This is a blog I will be using for topics other than food. Politics, religion, spirituality, humor, green living, anything that I want to talk about that doesn't fall under the food/cooking category.



Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Grandpa Del

To my Grandpa Del,

I never knew you, but I would have loved to. I wish you could have told me about your war days in the Pacific. I wish I could have heard your voice. I wish I could have felt you hug me. I miss having you in my life. It's not fair that you were taken before I had a chance to know you, but that's the way it is. Tomorrow is Veteran's Day, and I will be thinking of you. Thank you for the sacrifices you made for this country, your family, and me. Even though you returned alive, you did not return untouched by war. All who fight are changed, and yet you went anyway. Thank you and I love you.

-Your granddaughter Summer

2 comments:

  1. Summer, this is beautiful. I can't wait to show it to Neil. You are an example of what love and kinship is all about!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Judy! Grandpa Del has been on my mind a lot lately. Ever since coming up to your place, really. I had the realization the other day that this is the 50th year since his death. I don't know what I'll do, but I feel I should commemorate it somehow. Kind of like how I did for Juanita a few years back.

    ReplyDelete