Welcome to Silver and Shadow

"Look at that sea, girls--all silver and shadow and vision of things not seen. We couldn't enjoy its loveliness any more if we had millions of dollars and ropes of diamonds." -L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

This is a blog I will be using for topics other than food. Politics, religion, spirituality, humor, green living, anything that I want to talk about that doesn't fall under the food/cooking category.



Sunday, September 5, 2010

Why "My Fair Lady" Outrages Me

I am watching this again and we'll see how far I make it before turning it off. It was never one of my favorite musicals, and I didn't really know why when I was younger, but I can safely say that I know now why. This movie promotes prejudice against entire groups of people based solely on how they talk. This professor guy takes this poor lady under his wing and teaches her to speak "properly". And then he decides, when she can finally speak "properly", that she's worthy of his affection. But if he'd been all, "Hey, I love you no matter what, and I don't want you to change your identity just for my selfish needs," I think I'd have been a much happier viewer. I think they ought to remake the movie, and remakes generally outrage me as well, but this warrants it. When they remake it, I think that's the twist ending they should go with. He says, "To hell with this accent crap, why don't I just love you for who you are?" and the speech lessons end. I think the real transformation in this story ought to have been the professor and not Eliza. Cuz he's pretty much a douche. And that's why this movie outrages me.

No comments:

Post a Comment