Welcome to Silver and Shadow

"Look at that sea, girls--all silver and shadow and vision of things not seen. We couldn't enjoy its loveliness any more if we had millions of dollars and ropes of diamonds." -L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

This is a blog I will be using for topics other than food. Politics, religion, spirituality, humor, green living, anything that I want to talk about that doesn't fall under the food/cooking category.



Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Prop. 8 Overturned

This is a good step in the right direction, but it's only one step in a long process. It made me think about our state and the "Everything but marriage law" or what I like to call "We didn't have the guts to really fight for equal rights, so here's a consolation prize instead" law. I think our state should pick up the fight, but I do not support the release of names of people who signed the petition against it. Why? Because I believe anonymity is vital to our voting system, and petitions are a part of that. People have the right to believe what they believe in this country, and shouldn't have to live in fear of it, even if I disagree. I also think that if that's a new precedent for petitions, some day it'll be one that I signed that other people disagree with. Do I want my name and info out there? No, so I'd be less inclined to sign. I feel this will ultimately impede our voting system, which can't be good for anybody.

Hopefully some day soon this will all be a page in a history book and kids will say "I can't believe this was ever an issue."

No comments:

Post a Comment